“Raise the Bar: Lead the World” is the U.S. Department of Education’s call to action to transform education and unite around what works—based on decades of experience and research—to advance educational equity and excellence. As part of ED’s Raise the Bar efforts to create pathways for global engagement, the Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) hosted a webinar to introduce and discuss the Raise the Bar Initiative in the context of English and multilingual learner education. During this event, panelists reflected on the importance of early learning, dual language, the seal of biliteracy, and parent engagement as levers for multilingualism and multiliteracy in today’s global society and economy; and discussed ways to elevate multilingualism among English learners and all students.
- Montserrat Garibay, Assistant Deputy Secretary & Director, OELA
- Melissa Castillo, Senior Advisor, OELA
- Dr. Jasmine Brann, Principal, Tyler Elementary School
- Robert Medina, Director, English Learner Program Sobrato Philanthropies
- Tamara Nogueira-Ramirez, Seal of Biliteracy Graduate
- Julissa Esquivel, Principal, Lorenzo G. Loya Primary
- Dr. Amy J. Heineke, Professor of Education, Loyola University Chicago