“Raise the Bar: Lead the World” is the U.S. Department of Education’s call to action to transform education and unite around what works—based on decades of experience and research—to advance educational equity and excellence. As part of ED’s Raise the Bar efforts to create pathways for global engagement, the Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) is hosting a series of webinars to introduce OELA’s four focus areas (early learning, dual language, the seal of biliteracy, and parent engagement) to support the Raise the Bar initiative in the context of English and multilingual learner education. During this event, panelists reflected on the importance of dual language as a potential Language Instruction Education Program to serve as a lever for multilingualism and multiliteracy among English learners and all students.
- Montserrat Garibay, Assistant Deputy Secretary and Director for OELA
- Melissa Castillo, Senior Advisor, OELA
- Marleny Perdomo, Principal, Escuela Key Elementary
- Francisco Durán, Superintendent, Arlington Public Schools
- Maria Cristina Ladas, Education Consultant, Arizona DLI Network
- Conor P. Williams, Senior Fellow, Century Foundation