This podcast explores evidence-based instructional practices for teachers that are relevant for English learners (ELs) in grades kindergarten through 12. Evidence-based instructional practices for ELs include:
- Provide ELs with opportunities to build content knowledge and language competence in tandem.
- Leverage ELs’ home language, prior knowledge, and cultural assets.
- Engage ELs in productive interactions with peers.
- Provide direct and explicit instruction focusing on key aspects of literacy.
- Incorporate regular opportunities to develop written language skills.
This podcast focuses on the practice of leveraging ELs’ home language, prior knowledge, and cultural assets. In Part 2, Kristin Simonne, Education Program Specialist at OELA, connects with Thea Fabian, a Vice Principal of a K–8 school in California’s Central Valley, for a look at how educators in the field are implementing this practice, including examples of the work Ms. Fabian and her school have been engaged in.