The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of English Language Acquisition, in collaboration with the Institute of Education Sciences’ Regional Educational Laboratory West, is hosting a webinar on the topic of early learning of children who are dual language learners. The webinar will focus on practices and state policies for young dual language learners as well as how they are codified and implemented in a variety of settings. The panelists will discuss research-based instructional practices for young dual language learners and identify strategies, funding streams, and resources for caregivers and early childhood educators for supporting the development and optimizing the experiences of young dual language learners in early childhood educational programs and settings. The presentation will include discussions of topics such as social and emotional learning; oral language development; family engagement; and inclusion and student engagement.
- Dr. Pam Spycher, REL West at WestEd
- Sarah Neville-Morgan, California Department of Education
- Steven Hicks, Sacramento County Office of Education
- Macy Parker, Silver Giving Foundation
- Guadalupe "Lupe" Villalpando, Lennox Unified School District