Discover the English Learner (EL) Family Toolkit, recently updated by the Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA). This toolkit serves as a vital connection for families and educators, providing the latest tips, tools, and resources to support English Learners (ELs) in U.S. schools.
Stay informed through our recently launched mobile app (available on the Apple App Store and Google Play). This companion to the toolkit is designed to keep you up-to-date on trending topics and the latest toolkit features.
Within this blog, you'll find answers to FAQs for navigating these resources effortlessly.
1. Who would you recommend use the EL Family Toolkit?
The EL Family Toolkit is tailored to support parents, caregivers, and families of EL students. Additionally, it is a valuable resource for educators, including PreK–12 teachers, Local Educational Agency/State Educational Agency administrators, and various school staff members like guidance counselors, principals, and after-school program coordinators. Organizations committed to aiding immigrants and ELs are also strongly encouraged to leverage the toolkit to provide comprehensive support to EL families.
2. What languages is the toolkit available in?
The EL Family Toolkit and its app are accessible in four languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, and Spanish.
3. How many chapters does the toolkit contain, and what topics do the chapters cover?
The toolkit comprises six chapters, each split into five sections: an overview, family, and student rights, questions to pose to schools, practical tips, and additional resources. The chapters cover topics such as school enrollment, extracurricular activities, and helping EL students succeed in U.S. schools.
4. What features does the EL Family Toolkit app offer?
The EL Family Toolkit app is equipped with various features to facilitate easy navigation. Within the app, users can access all six chapters of the toolkit in any of the four languages as well as utilize a convenient search bar. In addition, the app allows users to explore a catalog of NCELA resources and trending topics. Stay informed by checking out recent announcements and notifications from the Department, and effortlessly bookmark chapters for quick access in the future. By downloading the app, users will always have access to the content, even when not connected to the internet.
5. As an educator, how can I make the most of the EL Family Toolkit?
- Read the tips in each chapter on effectively engaging families.
- Access resources in each chapter dedicated to enhancing educational opportunities for ELs.
- Turn on notifications in the mobile app to stay up to date on professional development opportunities and resources provided by the Department of Education.
6. Is there a cost associated with the EL Family Toolkit app, and where can I download it?
7. How can I provide feedback or suggest improvements for the EL Family Toolkit?
OELA welcomes user feedback. You can submit your suggestions and comments or report any issues to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure to leave us a review in your designated app store.